Friday, March 28, 2008

Belated update

Blog thoughts from the last few weeks:

One thing that is nice in this country - when I introduce myself to new people, they always get my name on the first try. Its refreshing. With Arabs I sometimes explain that it is like “Shana Tova” because they expect my name to be Toba. Then I am out-ed.

Its confusing to walk down Ben Yehuda street, in the heart of West Jerusalem, wearing a skirt, looking religious, listening to Amer Diab and walking towards the East Side. Likewise, its confusing walking in East Jerusalem, wearing a skirt and looking all religious, listening to Shlomo Arzi.

At public appearances, why does the US consul have 2 men with ear-pieces in the room to walk him up and down to the stage and scan the room, while the European Community’s representative has none?

Mid-March, and the weather is hot, Hot, HOT. Tonight begins purim – the Jewish answer to Halloween. But people have been getting dressed up for days. Little girls have been dressed as princesses all week. Tonight is an excuse for the parents to start drinking.

Mid-March, and I’m still unemployed. I need to start keeping better track of my spending and curtail my food and recreation budget. And/or learn how to make a budget, and stick to it. I need to spend more time at people’s houses and less going out, but I still need to meet new people. I have a few applications to complete – it would help if I had my computer back. 3-Fucking-Weeks! I went for an interview at the call center. Not as bad as I expected. They pay is less than $10/hr, but I have no choice.

Why won’t the World Bank make a decision already?!

I went to Hebron. Another visit, another baby. I hadn’t been there since New Years. I need to try to make it once a month, or once every-other month. They need the distraction, but I don’t want them spending money on me. Next time I should bring chickens for Maqloubeh.

What a difference a couple of days can make! New ideas. New mind-sets. New people. New opportunities. And how quickly it can call go away again...

No comments: